Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: So what do you read in-between issues?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pajkub's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Just curious if most folks are reading other comics and if so, which ones?

    Some comics tend to attract people that don't normally think of themselves as "comic book readers", and SIP is one of them. Do most people stick with SIP, or do they start to explore other comics? Or were you already into comics when you found Strangers?

    Myself, I started reading Elfquest when I was six and that was pretty much all I read until I was 15 and I started exploring a little more. I discovered SIP only a few months ago, and started buying up a couple TPBs here and there when I could afford it. Now I am totally hooked and SIP is on my Top Ten Books Ever list. The funniest thing is, if someone had given me a plot summary beforehand, I probably would have never tried Strangers--it's just not the kind of comic I usually read!

    some of my other faves:
    Elfquest
    Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Transmetropolitan
    Sandman
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Cerebus
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Bone

    Anyhow, I am not sure what to do because I prefer the TPBs over single issues, but I'm dying to know what's going on...should I go with the comic, or should I wait for the graphic novel? I doubt I have that much patience anyway...

    --pajkub


  2. #2
    Inactive Member witchblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2001
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i personally like the TPB better, i get to know whats going on in one sitting, and not go through the whole oh my God i cant wait for the next issue to come out, but you do have to wait which is what I hate doing.but its nice to know someone besides me read Bone i think he is too fucking cute!!!i read fathom, aria, tales of the witchblade and zero girl, theyre all very good, and i used to read witchblade back in the day but i liked the first 25 issues the story got crapy after that(well it doesnt help that they changed artists as well as the writer) but anyway i of course looooooooooooove SIP smile terry moore kicks ass!!!!!!! anyway gotta go

    take care and keep reading SIP

    the witchblade wink

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Fabio Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bone
    Hellboy
    THB
    anything by Frank Miller
    anything by Chris Ware

    that's about it

    Fabio Moon

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mondopest's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 9th, 2000
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    What do I read in-between? Hmm, well in no particular order.

    Bone
    Deadpool
    Liberty Meadows
    Private Beach
    Transmetropolitan
    Authority
    Blue Monday
    Selected Dark Horse Star Wars
    Maison Ikkoku
    Gunsmith Cats
    Rising Stars
    Tomb Raider
    Danger Girl
    What's Michael
    Planetary
    Recent Release of Akira
    Castle Waiting
    Crimson
    In September -- Image G.I. Joe
    Anything by Kyle Baker
    Anything by Warren Ellis
    Anything by the team of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
    Ultimate Spiderman
    The Acme Novelty Library
    Dork Tower
    Knights of the Dinner Table
    and anything else that catch's my eye.

    For me the 6 weeks between issues go by in a blink. ; )

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Mibbitmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2000
    Posts
    291
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Some of the stuff I read(including a coupla older ones)(in no particular order): Bone, Cerebus, Private Beach, The Maxx(and just about anything by Sam Kieth), Patty Cake, Amelia Rules(the comic shop I go to got an advance copy of #1, I found out on the Comics Journal discussion board. It officially comes out in June), Boneyard, Sock Monkey, Howard the Duck(old).....and, in between issues, I read SIP! biggrin

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I started out on Eflquest... and was quite crushed when Wendi disappeared and they handed my favorite story off to a bunch of incompitants(yeah yeah, I know one of you likes Blair, and he's fine doing his own thing... but he butchered Elfqest and I won't forget it. I also get A Distant Soil(incedible artwork, Art Neuvo/Animie-before-Anime-was-cool) she's slow but worth it. and Rumble Girls by Lea Harnandez(ii's a short series but good, and her TPB's Cathedral Child and Clockwork Angels are great). And Tick, and Ghost... even though they keep changing artists and even writers on us, I loved the characters. And of course Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2. I've also read Sandman...erraticly and never gotten to getting the books, but I will when I get my finances worked out. And I liked Aria, even though it's incredibly slow going...
    I don't care for mainstream comics (but my girlfriend is a closet X-Men fan)the stories or the art. I'm so glad that so many people have been discovering there are other comics out there that have not one person in tights. Terry, it is the greatest compliment to you that many of your fans have never read comics before, and some don't read any other!! Kudos to you man!
    "I do not know what Feminism is... I only know that it is what they call me when I express any opinion that differentiates me from a doormat." -Patricia West

  7. #7
    Inactive Member happybunny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2000
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Just a few off the top of my head...

    Bone
    Waiting Place
    Poison Elves
    Dawn
    Sin City
    Midnight Nation
    Liberty Meadows
    Vampirella
    Murder Me Dead
    Harley Quinn
    Lenore
    Blue Monday
    Private Beach
    Love & Rockets
    Catwoman
    Chastity
    Buffy Vampire Slayer
    Angel
    Artesia

    .... imu2

    ------------------
    It's simple tips like these
    That keep you safe from injuries
    The surgeon general should do his part:
    Warning, beware, be careful - Fragile Heart

    Words By Jewel(EDA)

    [This message has been edited by happybunny2 (edited July 15, 2001).]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Darth Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow. Well I don't read most of that stuff. I mean, I have seen it, considered it, but it just doesn't flip my switch(still glad I found rumble girls in a quarter bin instead of paying full price! ugh!)
    Anaka is right, there are alot of books sans tights, but there are actually books WITH *ahem* tights that are incredible reads.

    Take America's Best Comics. Every one a winner, with Promethea being the best(truly an incredible read, if you like SiP, this book could possibly be up your alley-very beautiful, the imagery is worth a bazillion words)
    Rising Stars, by JMS, delivers the goods so many books promise then skip out on- A look a super powers in a world much more like our own than is the norm for comics. And Midnight Nation follows in his incredible story telling style.
    The Punisher(in Garth Ennis' hands) delivers some of the blackest humor around-check out the 'Welcome Back Frank' tpb out soon.
    Oh, and Kabuki. Incredible storytelling and artistry. Beware, the early issues of the b&w stuff looked more like pinups with accompanying text, but by the end of Circle of Blood, he's worked out the kinks, and then goes to full color painting anyway. Psychologially, one of the deepest reads out ther. Eveything is out in TPB, so you should be able to find and devour it no problem.
    The thing is, there are TONS AND TONS of comics out there, and as long as you accept the medium, there will be plenty to keep you busy!

    Darth

    ------------------
    'Faith. What a dirty monosyllable. Jill, why didn't you mention that one when you were teaching me the short words that musn't be used in polite company?'
    -Valentine Michael Smith, aka the Man from Mars- Stranger in a Strange Land

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Darth Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Branflakes:
    Comics-wise, I read X-men, Wolverine, Universe X, and Vampirella.

    The biggest thing I read that compares to Terry's quality are books. Currently reading "The Well of Loneliness" (1926 lesbian novel), just finished "The Man In the High Castle" by Phillip Dick, and am starting on "The Color Purple" (had always wanted to read that).

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    OOOOO, I like Universe X too Bran, right on! Love all those varied histories of the Marvel Universe all tied up in a nice neat package. What is your opinion on Paradise X, the sequel to the sequel?

    Hey, if you havent already, when you finish the color Purple, try Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein. I just finished it(in unabridged audio book form-16 hours but worth every second of it....) Really great book. Don't know why it took me so long to just break down and read(listen to smile) it....

    I agree with UMAW about the whole unrealistic body thing being a big MINUS sign. Have any of you tried Meridian? It's target is the 11-15 year old girl, but written well enough, and intelligent enough, a jaded late twenty somehting male like me can love every page(it's soooooo pretty too!)There is a trade of the 1st 7 issues coming out real soon, so keep your eyes peeled!
    smile
    Darth

    ------------------
    'Faith. What a dirty monosyllable. Jill, why didn't you mention that one when you were teaching me the short words that musn't be used in polite company?'
    -Valentine Michael Smith, aka the Man from Mars- Stranger in a Strange Land

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Anaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ahhhh! You didn't like Rumble Girls? Oh well, not everyone likes Anime, it can be difficult to tell characters apart if you aren't used to it. And it sounds like you like people who use pens instead of brushes. But hey, it's a free country and to each thier own.
    I also loved Kabuki, it was interesting to see somebody do a japanese story in American style. I haven't gotten to read all of them, just what Misstress has let me borrow.
    And not everything on my list was tightless... Tick never takes his costume off (and when Ben Edlund was doing it it was satire most wicked and beautiful). And Ghost, while it looks like Big-boobs-in-a-gravity/physics-defying-costume at first glance, is really a great mystery/underworld espinaige/conspiracy theory epic(although the many artist and writer changes have muddied the waters past all hope of clarity) with a great raging bitch character that Katchoo would just love... especially the first 30 or so... then it wanders.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •